Posted by Cara on 1/30/2011 9:11 AM | Comments (0)

I often wonder if other families have as much sickness as we do. I keep a clean house, I’m constantly washing sheets and clothes and hands, I do not take the boys to the grocery store or on other errands…I just don’t understand it.

Since November, at least one person has been sick every day in our house. Pneumonia, chest x-rays, croup x3, stomach bugs for everyone (yippee!), colds, coughs that won’t go away, ear infections, tonsillitis…you get the picture. Thankfully everyone has recovered nicely except my sweet William.

William has been on four antibiotics in the past three months. After multiple visits with his pulmonologist, his pediatrician, and his ENT, we have decided to put in his third set of ear tubes, take out his tonsils, and draw an immunoglobulin workup while he is under anesthesia. I asked his ENT if she would be willing to let me cut his hair while he is in surgery, but that was a no go…I can’t imagine why!?!?

William’s surgery is scheduled for Tuesday morning, and will require a stay in the hospital overnight because of his age. When children have their tonsils removed before the age of three years old, there is a higher incidence of complications since you can not really rationalize with them to drink fluids. He will have an IV of fluids overnight in hopes of combatting possible dehydration. William had a difficult recovery last year from his second set of ear tubes and the adenoidectomy, so we are preparing for a rough time. I’m incredibly thankful Sweetie is flying in for the week from Baton Rouge. Seriously, Sweetie is our savior…she is always coming to our rescue. I have no idea what we would do without her. Well, actually, I do…it wouldn’t be pretty.

Update on husband: Miguel’s platelet count is holding steady around 255, and has been for the past month, which is great news. He continues to wean off the steroids, and is now down to 15mg per day from an all time high of 120mg per day. He continues to have weekly platelet counts done, and his hematologist watches him closely to ensure he doesn’t have any complications from weaning off the steroids. For now any other interventions are on hold. Miguel feels great, and for that we are so thankful.

Signing off from the Wood Infirmary,

Nurse Cara (who had no idea when I hung up my nurse’s hat back in December 2006, I would put my nursing degree to such great use in my own home)

Posted by Cara on 1/27/2011 12:35 PM | Comments (0)

Cooking for my boys has its challenges. Husband is picky (although he will deny it if you ask him), will not eat leftovers, and prefers “junky” food. Miguel is my fruit, cheese, bread, and yogurt child while William is a meat and potatoes kind of person. William is also entering the “I am 2 years old so I can be finicky about my food” stage. Then, you have poor me…I eat practically anything, enjoy cooking (when there aren’t two children wrapped around my legs) and meal planning, and just want to put a healthy meal on the table each evening for my family.

I have secretly wanted to start a food blog for a long time, but for now I am planning on posting something food related on this blog once a week. It might be something I made for a snack, a dinner, our freezer stash or simply our weekly menu. Some of the recipes are mine, but the overwhelming majority are from family recipes, cookbooks, or blogs. Of course, I will give credit where credit is due.

Let’s get this party started…with Picky Palate's Crusted Cashew Coconut Tilapia and Honey Roasted Carrots. I had bought a bunch of tilapia filets and froze them before dividing them into smaller packs, so this recipe I doubled. I sent some home with our nanny, had a friend come over to eat, and brought some to our next door neighbor…let’s just say I had a bunch of tilapia to cook!

Food 004

Tilapia recipe from Picky Palate with some minor alterations by me:

2 eggs
1 tbsp water
2 tsp Tabasco

3/4 Cup flour (I used 1/2 whole wheat flour and 1/2 white flour)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
1/4 tsp Lawry’s garlic seasoning (I used garlic powder instead)

1 cup finely crushed cashew pieces
3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
3/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
1/2 tsp salt

4 tilapia filets

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place eggs, water and Tabasco into a bowl; mix to combine. Place flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder in a shallow dish. Place cashew, coconut, Panko and salt into another shallow dish. Dip Tilapia into flour then egg dip and then in cashew mixture. Make sure fish is coated well with the cashew crust. Place fish onto a baking rack placed over a baking sheet that’s been sprayed with Pam. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until fish is easily flaked with a fork and cooked through.

4 servings

For the honey carrots, I heated 2 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp olive oil in a skillet over medium heat until melted. Added a large package of baby carrots, and poured into about 3 tbsp of honey. Stirred and cooked for approx 15 minutes. Removed from heat. Stirred again making sure carrots were coated well. Serve warm. (Recipe from Picky Palate as well.)

Posted by Cara on 1/23/2011 2:41 PM | Comments (0)

I’m really lucky to have a wonderful nanny for Miguel and William every week for a few hours. She has been a part of our family since Miguel was about 9 months old, and we love her dearly. She is always snapping photos of the boys with her iphone and emailing them to me, which is awesome! As you can tell from the photos below they really miss me when I’m off running errands. NOT!

Jan 2010

Jan 2010-1

Posted by Cara on 1/13/2011 8:56 PM | Comments (0)

And the birthday canvas painting tradition continues! Miguel painted his canvas to mark his 4th birthday. While I was prepping the paint, I asked him what he thought he might paint, and immediately he told me a seahorse. He painted without any direction from me other than to please not paint your legs or the kitchen table with the acrylic paints, and when he deemed his masterpiece complete I asked him to tell me about his painting. He replied he couldn’t tell me about it, but he could tell me a story. He began his story with “Once upon a time there was a seahorse and another seahorse and they were fighting. The end.” Silly boy!

4 yr old canvas 004

4 yr old canvas 010

4 yr old canvas 009

4 yr old canvas 014

4 yr old canvas 013

Posted by Cara on 1/12/2011 10:02 PM | Comments (0)

Miguel celebrated his 4th birthday a little early while we were in Baton Rouge. He requested a Lightning McQueen cake, and I was happy to make it for him. He adored the cake, and when it came time to open presents he asked me to help him read all of the cards.

Miguel at four years old still loves electronics and is quite the techie. He is outgoing and makes friends where ever he goes. He enjoys school, learning new things, and can write his name. He is almost reading, and can sight read many words. He loves cars, and can name the make and model of just about any car. He is a snuggle bug, and a Mommy’s boy, which I wouldn’t have any other way. Happy 4th Birthday, Miguel!

Posted by Cara on 1/10/2011 11:06 PM | Comments (0)

I haven’t been very good about sending updates on Miguel lately. Miguel’s platelets are stable for now. He continues to have weekly labs to check on his platelet count, and for now they are hovering around 250, which is normal. He is weaning off of steroids, and is down to 40mg per day from the original dose of 120mg per day. For now all other interventions (surgery) are on hold. We remain hopeful his platelet count will stay normal, and he will continue to feel good. Thank you to our family and friends for all the prayers and good thoughts.

Posted by Cara on 1/9/2011 6:58 PM | Comments (0)

My sweet William…he also answers to Yum Yums…is getting so big. William amazes me with everything he says, his fierce independence, and burning desire to do everything Miguel does. He is a Mommy’s boy, and likes to know where I am at all times. William loves meat and potatoes, refuses all fruit except bananas, loves frosting, Papa cookies (aka golden oreos), and beans. He often shoves a bite of food in his mouth then his nu-nu and will walk around like a chipmunk for awhile. Honey the bear (he says nee-na), his blue blanket, and nu-nu are his constant companions. He loves Lightning McQueen, Chick Hicks, Buzz Lightyear, and Thomas the Train. William can count to 10, sing his ABCs and many other songs, and his newest phrase is “oh, man.”

I adore this photo of Miguel and William. Miguel is driving, and William has his arm around Miguel’s back. Brotherly love at its best.

My Yum Yums, almost 27 months old

Posted by Cara on 1/8/2011 9:08 PM | Comments (0)

Very early on Christmas Eve, we (and, by “we” I mean “I”) drove Miguel and the boys and a ton of presents to Baton Rouge. Excitement was high since Miguel and William knew we were heading to Sweetie’s house and there was a neighborhood parade and Santa was coming that night! Oh my gosh! Christmas morning was perfect! William was the first awake and thrilled to see Santa left Thomas the train, and a stocking full of little surprises. When Miguel finally emerged from his Sweetie’s bedroom (he likes his Sweetie snuggles in the morning), he was grinning from ear to ear because Santa had left him a Leapfrog Explorer, and a stocking full of little surprises too. After breakfast, Uncle Bo and Aunt La came over to Sweetie’s, which meant even more presents to open. It was a fabulous morning full of excitement, wonder and the joy of Christmas through the boys’ eyes, and I am so happy we were able to share the holidays with our family in Baton Rouge.